You know how you get to that certain point of adulthood where you start bringing "hostess" gifts to your friends places when you go over to drink (which you now refer to as "a cocktail party")?
Yeah, you're a real grown up and you've made it. The only thing that can take you over the top at this point is bringing a HANDMADE HOSTESS GIFT THAT SOUNDS REALLY TRICKY TO MAKE ... but totally isn't.
Fun Fact: Truffles got their name after the french mushroom with a similar appearance.
And you know that if the French had anything to do with it, it's pure class.
Anyway, truffles are pretty much just cream and chocolate melted together, cooled, rolled into balls and then dusted with cocoa.
And if it were up to me, that would be the end of the blog post but one of my friends told me I had to give an actual recipe for people to follow, so here it goes:
1/3 cup soy cream (like the kind you get for coffee, Silk makes a good one)
2 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
2 cups cocoa
1/4 tsp each of ginger, cardamom, allspice, cinnamon (optional.. but that's what makes them spiced)
Dash of black pepper (optional)
1. Put on a double boiler (ceramic or metal bowl over a pot with a little bit of water that does NOT touch the bowl, thats very important). Turn it to a simmer.
2. Pour that cream, spices and chocolate in and let it melt together (you can stir it around a bit)
3. Once melted together either spoon the mixture (now called "ganache" because... class) into chocolate molds or just leave it in the bowl, either way, pop it in the fridge until it's completely cooled (a good 2 hours should do it)
4. If using molds, pop em out, if using the bowl, gather a tablespoon or so of the mixture and roll into a rough ball (it'll melt all over your hands, thats cool)
5. Once you have your rolled balls (or molded ones), drop them in the cocoa and swirl them around until completely covered
6. Shake off the excess cocoa with a fine mesh sift (or just your hands, no judgement)
7. Congratulate yourself because you just made truffles and have elevated yourself to the next ranking of being a classy *classy* adult